[BC] Cart machines - and others

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sun Nov 28 14:15:12 CST 2010

> Oh man does that bring back bad memories!  Do you have any pictures of
> the back of the carousel's showing the rubber bands holding in the PC
> boards?
>
> Craig Bowman

Nope, I don't have any photos like that. Things I remember about the
Carousels:

1. They were HEAVY. Putting them into the rack cabinet was a challenge.

2. The playback amplifier would start to oscillate if you turned the
output level up too high. The ultrasonic oscillation would hold up the
silence sensor so you could do hours of dead air when an EOM cue was
missed.

3. If the pinch roller pressure was set too high, the pinch roller would
get stuck and not go back down. The tray would try to eject with the pinch
roller still in the cart. The system would then just sit there like that.
It's interesting that the stalled motor did not burn out. This also
contrasts with the Gates 55 which would just chop off a cart that did not
eject properly.

Harold

--
opportunities available!