[BC] AM Stereo, etc

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sat Nov 27 12:26:29 CST 2010

------ At 02:30 PM 11/26/2010, Jeff Glass wrote: -------

>There would be no cellphone users if people really cared about audio
>quality. The fact is, it's good enough, and there is no other way
>people can get the convenience and functionality of a cellphone
>without putting up with the audio, and that's why cellphones sell.

Ain't that the truth. In New York, NYNEX gave us free digital phones
(the hulking grey flip-phone) hoping to get rid of the analog
network. Their early digital sounded like you were under water. I
kept my analog phone in the car until it was stolen. All they took
was the handset. Replacing the window cost me more. If memory serves,
the analog sounded as good as a landline.

>There were receivers available (The Sony SRF-A100 and others) and
>sales flopped.

Interesting you should mention that. Leonard Kahn gave me one as well
as the later Walkman-style units. The other day I was in a downsizing
mood and came across it. It still works.

Rich