[BC] 7/8" vs 1-5/8" line for 250 Watt Translator

Mike Holderfield mikeholderfield at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 21:23:10 CST 2010

Don,

As I am sure you know, you will need a multi-bay antenna for that.
I have a 250 watt translator at 820 feet AGL with a single bay
and 7/8" foam and it needs 1080 watts to make licensed ERP.
I decided to use 7/8th's and more TX because it was less expensive.
And less loading on the tower. I lose nearly half the power
in the line, but don't give a shit. 7/8's is cheap.
This translator kicks ass. 40 miles solid all around in the car.
If I was you, and your terrain has some hills. I would up
my TX to about 1400 and stay with a single bay.