[BC] OIB-3 Connectors

Mike McCarthy towers at mre.com
Fri Nov 26 19:10:10 CST 2010

I had a pair of jumper cables going bad and took them apart to replace the
braid. Connector dissassembly is not a simple process. Reassembly is also
a challenge.  But with a bigh enough soldering pencil, it can be done.

Two things... I researched this and found the connector and the manufacturer.

1) The cost was $90/connector 8 or so years ago and Delta is the ONLY
buyer of that connector besides the feds. It was not the first time they
had heard from a Delta customer wanting to fabricate their own
connectors/jumpers.

2) The connector is NOT Amphenol. It is a special over sized high voltage
variation of the PL259 made by some private outfit...

Finally, because of the mutual coupling to external items by the jumpers
at higher freq's, the amount of potential error introduced to the
measurement increases. Thus, they recommend to not exceed the 18" long
lengths and that the cables be calibrated with the specific OIB.

MM