[BC] FM History

ChuxGarage at aol.com ChuxGarage at aol.com
Fri Nov 26 11:00:34 CST 2010

Do any of you know what happened to some of the old equipment at WNAC-WRKO in Boston?  At one time, they were the origination and master control point for The Yankee Network, which could be traced back to Major Armstrong.  I was told at the time that some of the studios dated back into the 1920's.

When I saw it, back in the 1960's, a lot of original equipment still existed their studios.  On the roof of the building (The Bradford Hotel???) was a transmitter, which I suspect was an original Armstrong design.  It might have been an FM rig.  It was in very bad shape back then, but could have been restored.

I know in the early 1970's, they moved to new studios at Boston's Government Center.  I have no idea what happened to the old equipment.  It probably ended up in a landfill, but I hope some of it was saved.

Does anyone know?

Just curious.

Chuck Conrad
KZQX-FM
www.kzqx.com

In a message dated 11/26/2010 1:38:50 AM Central Standard Time, broadcast-

It wasn't only Big Bad RCA.  Prior to WW2 there were a few major
large-coverage FM stations. One example would be W43B Paxton, near
Worcester, Mass. It had an ERP of about 300 kW, IIRC. I visited the
site, probably in the winter 1951/2. There were still a few dregs of the
50 kW low-band transmitter. WGTR was then running a 1 kW high-band rig.
A very depressing sight on a dreary day.