[BC] AM Stereo

JIM GRAHAM jgprods at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 26 09:53:13 CST 2010

>Oh come on Bob, Delco AM Radios are nothing but a piece of crud!  In my 2006
Monte Carlo, the AM audio was so bad, it was almost like listening to telephone
audio!  Other car manufactures like Kia, are doing the same thing. Make the AM
as cheap as they can. I test drove a new Ford Mustang this year and AM sounded
great. I think Delco just doesn't care about AM, PERIOD! Delco will never, ever
make a decent AM Radio again. Besides, I buy Ford cars, not nasty GM Trash!
 Scott Bailey
WMRO-AM, Gallatin, TN<

I'm not a design engineer, but a long time ago I heard that there are better ways to strip the audio from the AM carrier that might cost a bit more per radio.  The sad thing is (from my personal experiences) that Managers don't give a ! about AM and that translates down to the listeners don't give a ! about AM, therefore, the receiver manufacturers don't give a ! about AM.  One of the biggest issues is that the consumer will not deal with irritations in the form of noise on AM.  [I wonder if the skipping and blanking on HD radio will result the same way.]  For many years I couldn't accept the demise of AM radio.  I sure wish that receivers could be made to sound better including noise reduction without companding.  I was always skeptical of the receiver manufacturers actually incorporating NRSC standards.

Jim Graham