[BC] AM Stereo

Powell Way powell at backroads.net
Fri Nov 26 09:38:38 CST 2010

Scott is right about that. AM on most cars is nothing more than an
afterthought. On the GM rental cars a friend of mine was using, the AM
was just TORTURE to listen to. It was fairly sensitive, but the audio
was quite restricted and the audio also wasn't clean. It was just worse
than waterboarding to listen to even talk radio!  Now my friend has a
2006 Outlander, and the AM is quite sensitive, but the audio is not
conducive to listening to music. My 2000 Ford Taurus wagon with the
whoop de doo stereo with CD player has AM stereo. Audio sounds DSPish
narrow restricted, and an AM stereo signal does NOT open the bandwidth,
and sensitivity on AM is poor. You have to be REALL?Y close to a
station for the AM stereo light to light.  Now, on my 2006 Ranger I
have I have a Kenwood  aftermarket radio and the AM bandwidth is better
than a GM radio. But strong signals cover 100 kilohertz or more either
side of center ......FM is grand.
I had a rental Dodge truck a few years ago.....and although it was
sensitive, audio was restricted, and rough sounding like GM vehicles,
and line noise from power lines "ruffled up" the radio over the entire
band. It couldn't cope with the line noise.  The AM sections must cost
a total of 49 cents to make anymore. And YES there are some halfway
decent radios out there..... <AHEM!> if you can find "A RADIO"... !!
The Sony ICF-38 is not bad. You have to listen through the headphone
jack to tell. No, it's not a GE SuperRadio, but it had good
sensitivity.

Powell