[BC] Cart machines - and others

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 00:45:27 CST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Tom Spencer <Radiofreetom at gmail.com> wrote:
>Gates tape decks by Scully and/or Ampex, depending on size and year
>(Scully 270s went into a lot of Gates automation systems with the Gates
>logo replacing the Scully disk in the center of the deckplate; They also
>used the big 14" reel Ampex deck which I forget the model number of...);
>I know there was a Gates-branded Ampex 351 offered.

Yes, we started KAPX in San Clemente (now KWVE) with a pair of Scully 270s and a Gates SC-48 brain.  Later we added on to the system pair of Ampex  decks that we were beta-testing (or alpha testing?) that looked similar to the 270 -- 14" reels, one on top of the other.  What I remember most about them is that the reel tension was set by a curved vane that controlled the light shining on a photocell from what was basically a bulb from a Volkswagen dome light.  Different.  I don't remember the model number of this unit.