[BC] AM Stereo

Robert Orban rorban at dslextreme.com
Fri Nov 26 00:24:23 CST 2010

At 09:22 PM 11/25/2010, Jerry Mathis wrote:
>I understand and I agree with what you say, but we were talking
>about sound quality, and not content.
>
>FWIW, I don't listen to Rush, and while I have nothing against it, I
>don't listen to Coast to Coast either.
>
>Perhaps age has affected my memory, but I DISTINCTLY remember that
>the advertised purpose of NRSC was not only to lessen interference
>between stations, but to bring back high fidelity AM broadcasting,
>with receivers again having close to 10 kHz bandwidth. Does anyone
>remember a campaign (albeit weakly pushed) called AMAX?
>
>What's gotten my tighty-whiteys in a knot is that I'm now being told
>that the whole purpose of NRSC was to benefit car manufacturers who
>didn't want to deal with auto radio complaints. IOW, the AM
>BROADCAST INDUSTRY bore the costs of benefitting the car makers--and
>we got NOT ONE DAMN THING in return. Sorry for the profanity here,
>but I think it's warranted.

Delco was the main receiver participant in the NRSC working group,
and in fact, after the NRSC standards were implemented on the
broadcasters' side, Delco created a line of radios that opened up to
about 6 or 7 kHz (compared to about 2.5 kHz for their earlier
radios), although IIRC this was only when they were receiving an AM
stereo station. Motorola also offered variable bandwidth as part of
the feature set in their CQUAM AM stereo decoder and Motorola was a
major participant in the NRSC working group. (Motorola's Greg
Buchwald was the person who first suggested the "modified 75us curve"
that became the NRSC recommended pre-emphasis.)

So it's really unfair to accuse the receiver manufacturers of not
following through. At the time, at least Delco considerably increased
its radios' bandwidths as a result of the NRSC deliberations.
However, I don't think that this survived the upheaval that Delco
went through later.

As you pointed out, the AMAX campaign was created to tout the
advantages of AM stereo and wider audio bandwidth. Ultimately, the
whole effort slowly faded away, more because of consumer indifference
than anything else. (Radio can also blame itself for not promoting
AMAX more aggressively on the air.) It was too late to market AM as a
high fidelity medium when consumers already believed that FM owned
that turf. Meanwhile, stereo could not overcome the negative effect
of the ever-increasing noise on the band, which the wider bandwidth
radios only made more apparent.