[BC] AM Stereo

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 12:59:28 CST 2010

The problem is, the receiver manufacturers NEVER CAME THROUGH with their side of the bargain. They continue TO THIS DAY to make crappy AM radios with an audio frequency cutoff somewhere down around 3 kHz now. I don't even try to listen to AM anymore. Unless you've got REALLY GOOD audio processing, everyone talking on AM sounds like they have their hand over their mouth. My degraded hearing accounts for SOME of that, but not all.

AM broadcasters are STILL stuck with the effects of that deal. I would describe it as a "Faustian deal" but it doesn't quite fit. AM Broadcasters sold their soul to the devil but got NOTHING in return. Perhaps it could be better described as a "Jacob-and-Esau deal", referring to Esau who sold his birthright (inheritance) to Jacob for a mess of pottage.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh; I know a lot of people put a lot of time into NRSC. But judging from the effects down the road, AM broadcasters paid (and are paying) a hefty price to comply with a standard that today benefits NO ONE.

And I still say that if AM broadcasters were required by force of law to comply with NRSC, then the RECEIVER MANUFACTURERS should have been as well.

--
Jerry Mathis