[BC] Signal Strength Question

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Wed Nov 24 02:44:46 CST 2010

I have yet to build a tall tower in the Miami area, but I dare say the
soils are sand there just like the Keys.  Towers in Miami are NOT
going to have foundations in bedrock.

Sand has good stiction for caissons.  A 900 foot tower may need 35 to
50 foot caissons.  It is hard scale as it is not linear, but a 2000
foot tower in Miami or the Keys won't be much different, and the
caissons will not possibly be more than 80 feet deep.  Not a hard
drill for six or nine holes, and, of course, the inner anchors won't
be nearly as deep.  I have built tall towers in sand, and I was
surprised at how easy the foundations were.  Stiction, baby.

Building a full C in Key West would be interesting, 100 kW at (about)
2000 feet.  Of course, it would never pay, but covering a lot of Cuba,
some of Mexico coast, and much of the gulf states, though not far
inland would be interesting.  Being the most listened to station on
the oil rigs would be funny.

No money, but more square miles than anywhere in the world.

Like I have always said; "Join the Navy; see the world.  It is mostly
water."

--chip