[BC] Cart machines

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 23:09:15 CST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Alan Peterson <alanpeterson at earthlink.net> wrote:

>My college radio station - WHPC-FM Garden City NY - had RCA-equipped studios along with five-slot cart play decks. Never cared for them; they just could never properly engage a cart. And a few years later in the field, I encountered the same model badged as an Ampro. So I agree with Cowboy.

Ampro made the cart decks, RCA just put their nameplate on them.  They did the same with Belar modulation monitors.  KWXY used to have a four-bay cart machine out in their shed with an RCA logo on it, but I don't think it was an Ampro.  The beast must have weighed at least 200 pounds.

Yeah, I remember when most stations had everything from the console to the transmitter either badged RCA, Gates, or Collins.  They would sell complete packages, and if they didn't make a particular item, they would buy it from that manufacturer and stick their nameplate on them.  Does anybody remember the Gates catalogs that had suggested station floor plans in them?