[BC] SA-38 and SA-39 compressors

Jim Tonne Tonne at comcast.net
Tue Nov 23 19:21:58 CST 2010

M:

> The SA-38 used a 4" VU meter with an applied
> compression scale, like the later Collins, and had
> a Daven VU attenuator as well as Daven in and
> out controls.
> The SA-39A was in the cast aluminum chassis >
>like the 38 but only had the small compression
> meter; the SA-39B was in a sheet metal chassis
>and had the large meter........

Excellent.   I was not aware of those two versions
of the SA-39.

However, the first of those limiters I saw was
circa 1951 and it had a small meter on it.   It was
controlling the input to a Phasitron exciter, for
what its worth . . .

Yes, picky, picky.   The basic design was not
changed at all over the years.  If it ain't broke
don't fix it !   Packaging and production economy
changes, yes, schematic no.

- JimT