[BC] The "Net Neutrality" proper position to have ??

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Tue Nov 23 16:50:57 CST 2010

Having used the Internet in several European countries, Holland, Denmark, Germany, France, and Belgium, I don't think their speeds are anything like the USA. They are SLOW, not the USA.

Furthermore, their DNS look-ups prevent common access outside of the Common Market countries. Last I was in Denmark, It was still possible to access US facilities if you knew the IP address. For instance, I could not access Comcast or the US version of Yahoo, the two main Email addresses I use.

However, I could access analogic.com where I worked. There is, therefore, no Net neutrality in a "general" sense. Even Google was "Europeanized" and access to the US version was prevented even if one knows the IP address. I had Email clients Email me the IP addresses of my commonly-used access points. Of course, I had to use my analogic.com email address because that was the only thing that worked.

So if net neutral means that everyone suffers at the same 56-kbaud speeds and has their world-wide access limited at the whims of some agencies, then I'm not at all impressed because that is what one has in Europe right now.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/