[BC] Signal Strength Question

Paul B. Walker, Jr. walkerbroadcasting at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 20:22:00 CST 2010

Ok, so I know Im opening up a can of worms here because there is no definate answer.

A friend of mine is looking at purchasing an FM signal in the South Florida Keys and is trying to determine a few things, namely how far he SHOULD upgrade this thing. He knows it can upgrade the signal quite substantially, but the upgrade from an A to a C is useless.

I know there is no standard among radios, but what would the average signal strength in dbu be to give clock/boombox radios a solid signal... 70dbu? 60?

We already know that if we go too high in height we run the risk over overshooting the intended audience or running into picket fencing issues. The antenna is less then 100 feet HAAT now.

Email replies privately are OK, walkerbroadcasting at gmail.com

Paul