[BC] indentifying the equipment

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Nov 22 19:59:42 CST 2010

Larry Wood wrote:

< My high school station was given a couple of the Ampex Q-Mat machines around 1974.
These used the 12" tape mats. I was wondering if that was them in the photo.
  We recorded IDs, PSAs and had several songs recorded on them because we didn't
have cart machines. I though they were pretty cool and they worked quite well.
  High tape noise though, not good for FM. >

   The reason for the high "tape noise" was because the "tape" grains were
randomly orientated.  Had they used FM it could have been much cleaner.
   (which would have required narrower tracks and a faster head to tape speed)

--
Ron KA4INM