[BC] can technology create a significant revenue source

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 10:39:56 CST 2010

Technology usually adapts something that is already being done to some improvement. For instance, the automobile was an improvement over the horse and buggy. The horse and buggy was an improvement over the rickshaw, tractors were improvements over teams of oxen, etc.

Technology in itself does not create markets even when it seems obvious that it does. For instance, the cell-phone was created from the car-phone which was created from the telephone, etc. People wanted to be "connected" when they were mobile. There were intermediate solutions such as pay telephones and CB Radio, but the underlying demand was for "connectivity."

Currently, there in an unfounded belief that Internet Streaming can replace Radio. The IGMP protocol with its single stream to multiple clients solves the bandwidth problem only at the originator. On the "last mile," so called, if you have 1,000 subscribers, you have 1,000 streams, which is not very efficient. The redeeming quality of true broadcast is its efficiency, there is only one copy of the program, and it is sent everywhere. However, as previously stated, this liberty is going away.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/