[BC] The wrong way to deal with tech budgets

Alex Hartman goober at goobe.net
Mon Nov 22 10:27:48 CST 2010

Because that's what they do. Plain and simple. They're management, they bitch and complain about how everyone in the company spends money... Management's "perceived value" of an engineering staff is pretty low since there's no revenue stream coming out of the shop to payout 5x what it spends (like the average sales person who will make $50k/mo in sales, but only costs 5k/mo to employ).

In an off-air emergency, after 10pm, just the phone call to me is $25. If i have to go anywhere, it's $150/hr door-to-door-back-to-door. Double that for holidays. My normal "day rate" is only $50/hr, but after 10pm, that's my time.

It's really a dumb game management plays. Instead of paying for it right along, they'd rather spend it all at once. Penny wise, pound foolish.

--
Alex Hartman