[BC] The wrong way to deal with tech budgets

Tom Spencer Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 15:25:36 CST 2010

One solution to the overloaded switch / router issue might be to
distribute the load a bit.

I've seen this in offices and locales with several computers scattered
around; using several off-the-WalMart-shelf 4- or 5-port routers in cascade.

One router handles no more than four computers, or three computers and
the next-downstream router.

I saw one with four such; one router at the hub with the cable modem,
and four sets of four computers all being served by the second tier of
routers.

One of the downstream routers had a wireless adapter in one port for a
5.8 GHz link to another pair of computers about a block away on the
other side of the street.

Seemed to work OK; although the closest they came to needing anything
superfast was their access to the GPS tracking system at the service's
remote provider in Denver...

I've got one setup - two computers at the top router with the modem, and
two more in the secondary router at the other end of a 100-foot Ethernet
cable - and those are the two that are running the stream... and pulling
the external stream, as well...

Seems to be working fine; although my uplink pipe isn't all that fat, so
I'm not feeding hundreds of listeners.....

Your Results May Vary.

--
Tom Spencer
PG-18-25453 (nee' P1-18-48841)