[BC] PPM vs program content

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sun Nov 21 08:09:08 CST 2010

------ At 12:07 PM 11/20/2010, Dana  Puopolo wrote: -------

>I wonder how Easy Listening would have done in a PPM world. Can you imagine
>one or two people who work for banks that play EZ all day getting meters? Or a
>dental assistant or two?

Not well. Smooth Jazz is the 21st Century's version of Easy
Listening. Neither format Cumes high. Very long TSL doesn't seem to
have a significant impact in PPM. Smooth Jazz was the first victim of
PPM.  Stations and groups ran from it like scared rabbits when the
first numbers came in. While WQCD, New York, had its longest run of
decent numbers in its history it was abandoned for a couple of
unsuccessful formats. The grand tradition of programming to Arbitron continues.

It's my understanding that one group forbids its stations from doing
Easy Listening on their secondaries. It would be the perfect
secondary format. With today's technology few humans would be
required and it's a format that never suffered from being automated.
Since there are no listeners to secondaries I wouldn't see it as a risk.

Rich