[BC] IBOC on AM is good.

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Fri Nov 19 15:17:02 CST 2010

On Nov 19, 2010, at 11:09 AM, Alex Hartman wrote:

> I've got an array that i've recently acquired that's quite
> entertaining. 4 AMs multiplexed onto 7 towers. Quite the feat.

Yes, indeed so.

Honolulu has quite a number of multiplexes, perhaps including two
into which are four frequencies, each, and several others which have
fewer than four frequencies, each. But, all of those are ND-U ...
quite different from that which you describe.

Power is somewhat limited, with some stations, the "legacy" ones,
running 10 kW into what was formerly a 5 kW tower, but with others
limited to between 5 kW and 10 kW, 7.5 kW in some cases.

I have yet to hear of a five-plex, however.

Boston has a recently accomplished triplex, done using MoM, which
uses the site of 1600, but none of its original towers, and now has
five new towers, in an almost 2 x 3 = 6 configuration, but with the
lowest-powered tower deleted.

"Optimization", as implemented in the 1969 IEEE Transactions on
Broadcasting issue, allows for very great freedom in most array
parameters, including the possibility of assigning almost 1.0 field
ratio to all or almost all towers, thereby completely avoiding the
pathological cases of Fibonacci field ratios, such as 1, 4, 6, 4, 1
(for five towers) and 1, 5, 10, 10, 5, 1 (for six towers).

(Of course, seven in-line towers has never been implemented, although
I have no doubt that it may have been applied-for, in at least one
case).

Still, 1, 3, 3, 1 has proven to be stable in at least one case, and
most probably others.

>>> WNYC, now on 820, is diplexing into WMCA's three towers.
>>> Historically, when on 830, WNYC had its own array.

I believe WNYC's original 830 array was co-located with 1560, which
may be why 1560, in Queens, has four towers on-site but it actually
uses only three of the four towers, two days and three nights, and
one of the four towers is unused during all hours. All are 171
degrees tall on 1560, which is 90.99 degrees on 830. Ideal, really,
for both frequencies.

Its 820 array is diplexed with WMCA/570, with 10 kW/1 kW for WNYC and
5 kW DA-1 for WMCA.