[BC] Frequency Measurement detector...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Fri Nov 19 13:58:40 CST 2010

The most common and reliable method for off-air frequency measuring
is what is called the heterodyne method.  In this case you tune a
receiver to the desired signal and then zero-beat the signal with a
local signal generator connected to the receivers antenna input
through whatever padding is required.

Zero Beat is an oft misunderstood term.  True Zero Beat is when there
is no (zero) beat note, essentially D.C.  From a practical standpoint
you would tune the local signal generator for zero beat while
watching the S-Meter on a receiver.  As you approach zero beat you
will hear the resultant heterodyne tone becoming lower and lower
until it's either below the ability for the receiver to reproduce it
or your ear to be able to discern the beat note.  At this point you
can look at the S-Meter and see it start to swing back and
forth.  The closer you get to true zero beat the slower the S-Meter
wavers until you bring it to a stand still.  You then measure the
local signal generator using a counter or a dial reading, depending
on the type of Interpolation or Transfer Oscillator used.

In the case of the Heterodyne Method, the receiver is only used as a
detector and only needs to do two things:  Allow you to hear and
identify the station and to give you a display of the signal strength
for the sake of being able to let you see zero beat.  I've used
everything from a good car radio to a SP-600JX and now my receiver of
choice is a HP-3586B Selective Level Meter.

I used to measure two stations that were both on 1340 kHz.  Both were
over 100 miles away and equally interfered with each other.  There
was so much interference on the frequency that watching the S-Meter
was useless.  By having the one I was measuring modulate their
transmitter with a 1000 Hz tone I was easily able to measure that
individual station by determining Zero Beat by ear.

Burt