[BC] Assistance with a tall tower

Miltron miltron at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 19 01:14:18 CST 2010

You remember correctly. Especially the cone shaped type are hollow and have a small drain hole which can easily become clogged but is not easily seen. A coat hanger, &c. is ideal for reaming out this drain.
Some of the small newer cylindrical types appear to be solid.
The Austin-Decca supporting the 440' Stainless G-4 here is a cylinder of ~8" diameter, ~3' tall, with a wall thickness of only ~one inch !!! It is filled with oil. A few months after it was erected in 1976, I noticed oil all over the base and a vertical split at the bottom of the porcelain. Decca sent a new one and the crew returned to jack up the tower and replace it.