[BC] exciter problem fix of note

Michael Patton mike at michaelpatton.com
Wed Nov 17 11:00:21 CST 2010

Yesterday I was going through a BE FX-30 on my bench and noted spurious
emissions at +/- 30 KHz and +/- 60 KHz, about -50 dBc.  Checking the
output of the mod osc by itself, I found no spurs.  Hey, I know this
one: the electrolytic P/S bypass caps in the PA are dead.  I
disassembled the PA module and changed the caps, using 105° caps instead
of the original 85° caps (shame on you, BE), and hey, presto! no more spurs.

So far, so good.  Here's the interesting part:  just for kicks, I tested
the old caps on a cap checker, and they showed full value!

So let this be a learning experience, that some electrolytic caps are no
longer fit for duty even tho they test OK.

Have any others out there had similar experiences, where caps tested
good but misbehaved in circuit?
--
*/Mike Patton/*
Michael Patton & Assoc.