[BC] SS transmitter

Tom Taggart tpt at literock93r.com
Fri Nov 12 19:13:27 CST 2010

Concur on the Nautel--unfortunately 3 kw is an "awkward"
power.

Nautel can probably still ship you a V-2, which is two 1.4
kw amplifiers plus a combiner for a real good price.
Rack-mount--needs a deep rack, and requires an exciter with
40 watts drive. I use a BE FX-50 on mine. This unit should
do about 2600~2700 watts without straining.

Their replacement is the VS series, which is more compact
and breathes through the front (instead of the sides, which
is the weakness with the V-2 series), but don't know what
their 2.5 kw will actually do.

The next step up would be the NV3.5 which is actually a 5 kw
throttled back through software, it's listed at a maximum
4100 watts. I was quoted upper 30's for this at the radio
show (we need 3800 tpo). The NV3.5 is a stand-alone
transmitter with it's own, built in, exciter.  However, you
can also splice in your own exciter if needed.

A step down from that is the BE 5 kw, which lists around 30.
Also has a built in exciter, but the way it is integrated it
would be difficult to use an out-board exciter (need a pad).
 This is also a front-breathing rack mount unit with several
amplifiers feeding a combiner. Looks like a pretty good
unit.

Below that level you would probably be better off with the
US made tube-type ECO 4 instead of the Italian boxes.  Not a
fan of Energy-Onix, but they do provide service and parts,
biggest problem is finding good 3cx3000A7 tubes.

On a related note we will soon have for sale a six year old
Armstrong FMX-30 exciter.  Replacing with a new Continental
802B.  Will post separately on this.