[BC] need a NON-technical explanation

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Fri Nov 12 16:44:22 CST 2010

On Nov 12, 2010, at 2:11 PM, Harold Hallikainen wrote:

> Should the unit be mV sqrt(kW)/m ? After all, noise is often
> measured in
> nV/sqrt(Hz). Or, if we go back to the basic units, it would be
> V*sqrt(W)/m
> .  Time to make up a new unit? Perhaps the Fry? Or should this
> "efficiency" just be an antenna gain in dBi?

Well, Form 301 for TV requires the specification of power in dBK (dB
above one kilowatt), so I suppose ANY arbitrary units could be required.

mV/m/kW, with the implicit understanding that power is actually
incorporated by reference to 1 kilowatt, as the square root of
(actual power in kW / 1 kW), makes perfect sense, as the field is
proportional to the square root of actual power referred to 1 kW.

This is a very specialized area of engineering, and if an
"uninformed" correspondent cannot conform to the requirements, tough
luck.