[BC] Frequency Control

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 10:35:22 CST 2010

Earl Hewingson made a transmitter for WTYM, East Longmeadow, MA. It ran 5 KW (sic) on 1600 KILOCYCLES (sic). It occupied the entire basement and it was a work of art, built into individual screen-rooms. The "Frequency Generation Set" was in its own room. It consisted of a circuit constructed on metal plate within a wooden temperature-controlled box. The circuit used a 6SA7 for the oscillator and a 6CA7 buffer. The oscillator tube had been developed as a "pentagrid converter," however it has outstanding isolation between its input and output because of the grids. It was Hartley-connected. The interior of the box was temperature-regulated using proportional control with a 6SN7 and four 6L6 tubes! The temperature regulator was much more complicated than the oscillator. Its circuit was "borrowed" from some Western Electric Navy transmitter I was told. Western Electric also made the crystal. It was pressure-mounted in a four-pin ceramic housing that took many hours to stabilize.

This was an example of how "frequency control" was done in the "olden days." In fact, the quartz crystal was considered the heart of the radio transmitter. It was so "protected" that a composite transmitter was not allowed unless certain standard circuits and devices were used! Later, RCA was able to capitalize on this because they made a "FCC certified" crystal control unit that many transmitter manufacturers were forced to use. The WTYM transmitter was designed before RCA had a chance to take over the industry.

Although the WTYM transmitter design was very old, it was when I first saw it, that I knew that I could make a FCC Type Accepted transmitter -as a teenager!

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/