[BC] Transmitter metering

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Thu Nov 11 15:04:41 CST 2010

> During the evolution (devolution?) of radio, many standards were changed
> as technology developed. In the beginning, radio stations operated much
> like power stations. There needed to be a licensed engineer on duty any
> time the transmitter was in operation. His duties included, but were not
> limited to:
>
> (1)     Recording the final amplifier plate current and plate voltage
> (2)     Recording the antenna or common-point current
> (3)     Recording the frequency deviation using an approved instrument
> (4)     Recording the crystal oven temperature
> (5)     In a directional array, recording the magnitude and phase of the
> appropriate radiating elements.
>
> These readings were recorded at 30-minute intervals. Furthermore, the
> operator on duty needed to make certain that "modulation in excess of 100%
> of frequent occurrence" did not occur, plus the modulation levels needed
> to me maintained "as high as possible consistent with..."
>
> Because a licensed engineer (--yes called an engineer in those days) was
> required to be on duty, the FCC even required that there be toilet
> facilities at the transmitter sites.
>
> Eventually the FCC authorized remote control. There still needed to be an
> "operator" (name change, representing a Third Class Licensee) on duty that
> would log the transmitter parameters at 30-minute intervals and make
> antenna or common-point meter readings daily within 30 minutes of a
> pattern change. In the case of a directional array, this operator needed
> to have a First Class Radiotelephone license when the array was in
> operation, typically nighttime.

Nice summary! My history of operator requirements, as published in the
"NAB Guide for Unattended Transmitter Operation" is at
http://louise.hallikainen.org/nab/unattended/RegHistory.pdf . I spent a
lot of time in the library reading through the Federal Register to
generate this.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com