[BC] about STL dishes and jumpers

Michael Patton tech at michaelpatton.com
Wed Nov 10 20:51:21 CST 2010

I have to side with Don on this one--I've seen many hardlines screwed
straight into dishes last til they came down for other reasons.   When
we do installs, we generally plumb 1/2" straight into the dish, but we
use a jumper for 7/8" or larger.  And if we use a jumper outside it is
3/8" or 1/2" superflex, which I've never seen a breakage problem with
when done even close to right.

I wonder if the part of the country one is in makes a difference?  Don
and I are both in the Sunny South, where temps never get very low, and
the wind only kicks up high-high during hurricanes (at least here in
South LA).  I've seen more braided jumpers rot off than properly-secured
"hard" coaxes break--although I certainly have seen that, too.

It's funny how two fully competent and qualified folks like Cowboy and
Don can come to such different conclusions from living in the same
industry at the same time, but I've seen some version of that over and
over.  It's almost a cliche that three engineers will give you three
mutually-exclusive opinions as to what some problem is caused by, and
all of them will swear on their mother's grave that theirs is right and
only a "ignorant, pusillanimous SOB" could ever think otherwise.

Mike Patton, owner, Michael Patton&  Assoc.
12231 Industriplex Blvd, Ste C, Baton Rouge, LA  70809
225-752-4189 ofc     225-266-9745 cell     www.michaelpatton.com