[BC] WANTED - an FM tx.

Michael Patton tech at michaelpatton.com
Wed Nov 10 20:47:49 CST 2010

I once bought and installed a late-model (G-series) CCA 20 KW FM
grounded-grid rig, and to my horror, I found that the "grid current"
meter was simply set to measure and show a percentage of cathode
current.  I tried to show the CCA folks the problem but they were never
very interested in my rantings; good design was not a strong suit of the
revived Atlanta-based CCA.

This grated on me more and more as time went by, and since I was the
contract engineer for the station and had ongoing access to it, I
devised and implemented a mod to return the HV negative to the cathode,
not to ground, as Richard noted, leaving a 1 Ohm resistor between the
supply return and ground, across which I was able to derive a very nice
grid metering sample.  I was able to verify that it was indeed actually
grid current by running the driver only, among other tests.  I very
carefully noted the mods on the schematic and wrote up a narrative for
the book.  Unfortunately, some years after that, there was a failure in
the transmitter, and the mods got the blame--of course.  By then, all my
careful documentation had been ruined by a leaky roof, and the station
got Jerry Meier from the remnants of CCA to come put everything back to
"factory" status.  Why they couldn't drop a dime on me--an hour away--to
put it back to (really) rights is beyond me, but I guess they had their
pride.

One thing I have learned over the years, is that there is a time to
modify and a time to leave alone (I guess Solomon missed that one).
Most equipment designers are very competent at their trade, and their
decisions are made from sound premises--even the compromises.  However,
that's not always true, and I have surely seen circuits--even in gear
from major players--that cried out for a few common-sense mods.

Mike Patton, owner, Michael Patton&  Assoc.
12231 Industriplex Blvd, Ste C, Baton Rouge, LA  70809
225-752-4189 ofc     225-266-9745 cell     www.michaelpatton.com