[BC] about STL dishes and jumpers

Miltron miltron at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 10 16:14:43 CST 2010

Your experience seems to be just the opposite of mine.
There are several factors to consider:
The black jacket and tape helps things to get extremely hot in the sun; most flexible jumpers will be very stiff after a few years from this cooking; long enough, and you can hear the dielectric cracking if you bend them.  Life is dependent on the quality of the RG-8,-213, or whatever. White jackets would probably give them longer life. The high-priced stuff with the teflon(R) dielectric would likely last until the jacket and shield rotted away.

Tower convicts, as you aptly call them, don't usually strap things down too well, often leaving flexible jumpers flapping in the wind, or, if no jumper,  leaving long spans of coax unsupported to vibrate in the wind and fail when the solid shield cracks at the connector from metal fatigue. I'm sure they like repeat business..<g>