[BC] about STL dishes and jumpers

Gary Peterson kzerocx at rap.midco.net
Wed Nov 10 08:47:42 CST 2010

This brought back a not-so-fond memory.  When I was corporate engineer for
Triad Broadcasting, I helped with a studio move, in Biloxi.  Part of this
involved swapping out an STL receiver at one of the AM sites.  The line from
the STL receive dish was 7/8" Heliax, the end of which had been fitted with
an N male connector!  No jumpers or adapters were available.  Time was short
and it was quite a struggle for me to mate the Heliax to the back of the STL
RX.  Hopefully, the market engineer got rid of that kludge.

I also remember seeing a mass of adapters that came off of an abandoned
2-way antenna.  As I recall, the antenna had an N connector, the sex of
which I can't remember for certain.  The Heliax had a UHF male connector.
There was a series of three or four adapters in between the antenna's
connector and the feedline's connector.  We all laughed when we saw this RF
version of Rube Goldberg.  Apparently, whoever did the install was forced to
use what was available in the truck.

I have always used N females on both ends of 1/2" and 7/8" Heliax.  Then,
good quality N male to N male jumpers for the final connections to the
antenna or equipment.

Gary
CE KFXS, KOUT, KKMK, KRCS, KKLS & KBHB

"It's always amazed me that equipment sellers, but even more that supposedly
knowledgeable 'engineers' would attempt to save dollars by specifying an
N-male on the end of the 1/2" Heliax, instead of an N-female + a jumper
Even worse is when the Heliax is 7/8...............
Thoughts on this supposed 'economy' ?
Gary Glaenzer"