[BC] EAS alert tones in movie preview ad

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Tue Nov 9 09:13:25 CST 2010

I believe there is an issue there in that it devalues the attention signal as to its importance - already a problem in many ways,  especially when stations do their weekly test by just running the data bursts and nothing else.

There has been at least one post I've seen that indicates the sounds in the spot are EOM tones, and as such, I would think most receivers would ignore them. Still, for those that hear them, they could well wonder if they missed something. Hence the devaluation of the tones.