[BC] Novus Development?

Steve Lewis steve at theengineeringbureau.com
Sat Nov 6 01:26:22 CDT 2010

I set out to build an air conditioner energy management system back in the
80's... I think the principle of the thing was to use a comparator to
respond to the voltage coming back from the sensor (I bought a couple of
things that Heathkit used to sell) on one side of the comparator, and a
"precision" voltage reference on the other side of the comparator.  I seem
to recall that the Heathkit device was some sort of heat sensitive diode.
In the morning I'd calibrate it in a glass of ice water but by the afternoon
if I tried calibration again the same way, it was nowhere close.

I eventually came to the conclusion that the "precision" reference voltage
was also sensitive to the heat in the room and it wandered.  I gave up.
Does the temperature wander around in the room where you have the device?