[BC] First FM Radio

Blaine Thompson irw at well.com
Fri Nov 5 15:11:28 CDT 2010

Since we all just celebrated KDKA's anniversary (mmm...cake), I became
curious this morning about FM radio firsts.  More specifically: What FM
stations signed on first, in Indiana?

I skipped Wikipedia, preferring Google.  I stumbled upon this website:

http://jeff560.tripod.com/chronofm.html

...Where I found that on 31 October 1940 (or, 70 years and 5 days ago),
The FCC granted a CP for WEOA/WGBF(FM).

However, my hand written notes say this:

104.1fm, Muncie signed on October, 1947.

WCSI-FM, Columbus, Indiana briefly signed on from 1947 to 1949, but was
back on 93.7fm in 1950 and 98.3fm in 1958, then off to 101.5fm in 1958.

WGBF-FM, (See above) signed on 1 December 1971.

Is there an earlier Indiana signon that I'm unaware of?  How accurate
might the above information be?

- Blaine