[BC] Chicago generators

Mark Humphrey mark3xy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 11:07:01 CDT 2010

At WCJW, we installed a 15 kW Home Depot Generac over five years ago
and it has been 100% reliable, although the Gates Two which normally
runs at 2.7 kW wants to be backed down to 1.5 to be happy.  In
addition to the AM transmitter, it powers our air studio, server, most
of the building lights, oil furnace, water pump, and 600 W FM.   No
problems with the UPSs once I decreased their sensitivity settings.
My only minor complaint is that the automatic transfer switch lacks
auxiliary contacts for status monitoring, so I ran one of the hot
leads through a current transformer that sends an alarm when it
switches into a load.

We're at the end of the utility line, so it has proven quite valuable
in our rural situation. Propane is traded out with a local advertiser.

Mark