[BC] On Air Operations - MJ Tributes

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Mon Jun 29 17:00:03 CDT 2009

Just curious.

I've been reading a lot of comments that say, essentially, that aside
from a very few stations, most of the "oldies" stations and rockers
basically ignored the Michael Jackson story because there was no one
in the studio all weekend.

Others have indicated it was a corporate edict: spend no money on
Michael Jackson.

You programmers out there, was your sense that the industry let its
listeners down?

Now ... I'm NOT talking about "news" and "speculation" on the death
of MJ.  (IMHO, the so-called "news" coverage was way over the top,
and again proved that little or no real journalism is being practiced
by broadcasters. I do not wish to hear for the 405th time what *could
be* the cause of death. We'll find out in due course. The endless
speculation of what happened and who was responsible is ...
irresponsible. But I digress.)

I'm talking about the typical way radio used to react to the death of
a major artist.