[BC] AC Voltage Drop

Ron Nott ron at nottltd.com
Mon Jun 29 10:32:08 CDT 2009

You may be surprised to learn that power plants are exempt from the National
Electric Code.  The Arizona Public Service Co. plant known as Four Corners
(2,000+ MW) was constructed between 1961 and 1970 (5 units) and some of the
slovenly wiring within it would amaze and scare you.  It was good when new,
but over the years electricians do insane things.  Much of the wiring is in
tunnels below the plant which have filled with water from boiler condenser
leaks, etc.  When necessary, we used a large pump to get most of the water
out after which the electricians had to go into them while circuits carrying
4160 volts were still energized (not me!  I was the engineer looking down
into the manhole).

Another factor is that the ultimate loads of the plant (from 300 to 500
miles away, e.g. Las Vegas & Phoenix) are not purely resistive.  So the
lines have SWR which is referred to in VARs and megaVARs (volt-amperes
reactive).  Because the distant loads are mostly inductive due to
transformers and motors, huge capacitor banks are located in the switchyard
to compensate for this.  Their values can be remotely varied from the
control room for minimum VARs to the alternators.  Back in the 80s, the cap
bank for the 500 KV line going to Las Vegas failed and many caps burned up.
The light from this was so intense it caused actual pain to our eyes.

Finally, voltage regulators such as the buck-boost type can cause all kinds
of distortion to the wave form.  This can reflect back down the line for
miles resulting in all manner of junk power on the lines.
ron
.