[BC] AC Voltage Drop

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Sun Jun 28 15:26:55 CDT 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Danny Ray Boyer wrote:

> Can anyone direct me to the paragraph(s) in the NEC handbook which
> reflects what kind of voltage drop is permissible from an electrical
> provider from no load to full load.  This is for a a 240 volt - 3
> phase
> Open Delta AC circuit.

The NEC does NOT cover an electrical provider, which may do ANYTHING
which the applicable State tariffs allow.

The NEC only covers a specific premises, and that limit is 5 percent,
over a feeder from your service equipment to your load.

Of course, you may install ANY feeder which you prefer, and one which
provides for 1 percent is certainly a possibility.

In a recent case, known first-hand to me, an abutter with a 200 amp
service was provided with a #6 Al service drop, whereas I, with my
inside knowledge of utility procedures, was able to get a #2 Al
service drop, for my 125 amp service. My service conductors were #2
THHN Cu.

I have NO light dimming when my machinery are activated.

My abutter is experiencing lots of dimming, even under normal
conditions.