[BC] Michael Jackson, R.I.P.

Chuck Dube cld at admin.umass.edu
Fri Jun 26 08:55:43 CDT 2009

Donna:

Thanks for your thoughtful and considerate post re: Jackson.
He's been an easy target for so long, and this isn't going to change.
We tend to forget that this guy raised tons of money for charities;
supporting over 39 of them- the most of any pop star I understand.

And I hope anyone involved in R&B and the rap business
doesn't forget that Jackson put his career on the line- threatening to
withdraw his hugely successful
music videos from MTV at a time when MTV was just about all-white all of the
time

Michael's life was unconventional to say the least, but he never lived in
"our" world.
I find it hard to believe that, as misguided as some of his decisions may
have been, he meant
any harm to anyone. As for the behavior of celebrities (including a few talk
show hosts), I can think of worse.

Requiescat MJ, FF and EM.

Chuck Dube
Am'erst, MA

Message: 29
From: Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com>

I knew Michael's manager, when I was still in radio full-time, and we
had several conversations about what Michael was really like.  His
manager made the comment that if Michael were a girl and he liked to
play with toys and play with kids, people would have said "she'll
make a wonderful kindergarten teacher."  But when Michael did those
things, people said he was a pervert.  Sadly, Michael had no
childhood.  The downside of being a child pop star is you are never
permitted to be a kid yourself.......