[BC] Michael Jackson, R.I.P.

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Thu Jun 25 19:45:22 CDT 2009

I knew Michael's manager, when I was still in radio full-time, and we
had several conversations about what Michael was really like.  His
manager made the comment that if Michael were a girl and he liked to
play with toys and play with kids, people would have said "she'll
make a wonderful kindergarten teacher."  But when Michael did those
things, people said he was a pervert.  Sadly, Michael had no
childhood.  The downside of being a child pop star is you are never
permitted to be a kid yourself.  His manager said that, based on his
dealings with Michael, it was obvious the guy never really grew
up.  His body was biologically normal, he was capable of having
relationships with women... but his emotions and his way of looking
at life were frozen at about eight years old -- and remained that
way.  The accusations of molestation were made at the behest of a
father who was in financial trouble and figured with Michael's weird
habit of enjoying the company of kids, it would be easy to get some
money from him.  Esquire magazine and several newspapers did very
fair and accurate reporting on the case, but the tabloids had a field
day with it, and to this day, the perception lingers that Michael was
doing bad stuff with kids.

As a broadcaster, what's amusing is how two other celebrity stories
totally vanished.  The scandal of Governor Mark Sanford and his
adulterous affair (which dominated the news yesterday), and the
tragic death from cancer of Farrah Fawcett (which dominated the news
earlier in the day) were both totally overshadowed by Michael
Jackson-- most stations, including MSNBC canned their political shows
and went all-Michael all the time, and the local oldies station in
Boston went to all-Michael songs.

I hope that Michael is at peace now.  He had fame and lots of money,
but I don't know if he ever enjoyed any of it...