[BC] May Construction Permits Be Moved to Another COL

Gulch Radio gulchradio at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:50:26 CDT 2009

Hi  - my name is Richard Martin. I've been reading and learning from this list for several years now. You guys are a great read!

I live in Jerome, Arizona and operate a streaming internet music station that is also a Part 15 at 1670 AM.

Jerome is a small town in the central Arizona mountains 38 miles from Prescott, AZ. Radio reception in Jerome, is spotty.

In 2004 I was an unsuccessful applicant for AM1340 for a station to serve our community. It was my fault, being a first timer to the process I became a little overwhelmed when the process reached the MX phase and didn't feel I could compete with successful professional broadcasters.

The successful applicants were awarded construction permits in April of 2008.

Currently there is a construction permit for sale for AM1300 in Prescott Valley, AZ, about 24 miles from here. The permit needs to be built out in 36 months from the date of award.

The permit is for 1.5 KW using 6 towers.

My questions are:

1) can a construction permit be moved to another City of License - in this case from Prescott Valley to Jerome?

2) we are looking to build a community radio station - not a countywide powerhouse - could the permit be down graded to lower wattage and a less complex facility than 6 - towers, tough to do on a mountainside, very expensive - to a non-directional, single tower?

3) how would one value the price to be paid for a construction permit?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice anyone cares to offer.

Richard Martin
gulchradio.com