[BC] Cyberpower brand UPS

tpt at literock93r.com tpt at literock93r.com
Thu Jun 25 13:07:48 CDT 2009

With a back-up geni, all I really need is about a minute of back-up
(as well as a quick switch-over so computers and other micro-processor
controlled devices don't dump).

When we built the station, the studios, office, and single-phase
Harris 2.5K were all in one building, fed off of a single phase 200
amp panel. Didn't get a computer  (single IBM PC) until three years
after we signed on; we had an Autogram console, 8100 Optimod, and used
music from reel-to-reel.

25 years later we have a Harris 10K three phase transmitter and a
three-phase electrical plant.  Ten computers, two Auditronics
consoles, four satellite receivers, two Omnia's, and an Armstrong
exciter all need some kind "float" capability--and they are all in
different locations.  Hence the collection of battery-powered canaries.

As long as the UPS switches back once the generator is up and on-line
I'm happy.
As I mentioned, my motley collection of APC devices seem to do the
trick.  Would be a bit too expensive--and complicated, to wire
everything into one big UPS. Had enough of an electrician's nightmare
separating out and moving the circuits we needed to back-up into a
separate sub-panel fed off the transfer switch.