[BC] Cyberpower brand UPS

tpt at literock93r.com tpt at literock93r.com
Wed Jun 24 12:38:21 CDT 2009

Watch out for this brand of small UPS (they are sold at Office Depot).

Needed something with 4 instead of 2 outlets just to float the
satellite receivers and air monitors for a few seconds until our geni
comes up when the power drops.  The XDS takes about 2 1/2 minutes  to
reboot, the Wegener, 8 minutes +; rather silly to have a generator but
be off the air because I am waiting for a satellite receiver to
reboot.  So I picked up a CyberPower brand 450 VA unit to sit in the
equipment rack.

Yesterday --at 5:40 AM, a black snake crawled into the substation,
killing power to the entire town. Or so the cover story goes. 3 phase
power to us down until 11 AM.

Generator came up (Onan 20 KW) and I switched over to our single-phase
back-up (a Harris 2.5 K). About a half hour passes--and both satellite
receivers dump.  Apparently the CyberPower does not like the AC out of
the Onan genset, it refused to switch back from battery and just ran
down. No problem with the half dozen APC units I have on the
computers, exciter, Omnia processors, etc.

Only two things comes to mind: A. The Onan's AC is not close enough to
a sine wave to keep the Cyber Power happy (picky, picky!) or B. (more
likely) voltage tolerances are way too tight.  Our usual line voltage
floats around 217 to 220; the genset was made for 240.

I bought another APC UPS, the CyberPower unit is going home to back up
my home computer. Much less "mission-critical" use.