[BC] HDTV rollout wrinkle

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Wed Jun 24 02:51:15 CDT 2009

There are lots of things they could have done with this spectrum. They could
have expanded the six meter ham band. They could have expanded the FM
band-fixing all the IBUZ crap and AM problems in one simple swoop. They could
have established a long range unlicensed public two way hobbiest's band. They
could have established an experimenter's band. They could have used it for
rural radio links for Internet, and/or mesh links for the Internet. OR..they
could have done ALL THESE THINGS!! There's PLENTY that could have been done
with 30 mHz of VHF spectrum. Instead, the FCC  once again flushed the public
interest down the toilet for the monied interests to have what they wanted.
The 'consultant' who forced a major market O&O to remain on a FAR inferior
channel then was available to them is a simple moron-and I'll tell him that to
his face! The 30 or so low banders who remained in this FAR inferior spectrum
for economic reasons should have received economic assistance from the auction
$$. Remember people, we're talking about having a slice of prime spectrum 50%
larger then the entire FM band (which has over 10,000 stations) to remain
largely unused in the ENTIRE USA so about 30 TV stations could have it all for
themselves. Ok, let's be generous and add the 50 or so LPTVs that will also
use it.. Let's see: 80...10,000 FMs plus...80...a million plus other users..
does this sound like an efficient use of this spectrum to you? It sure doesn't
to me!

-D

From: Scott Fybush <scott at fybush.com>

I'm not sure the comparison holds. Increasing the night powers of the
class IVs dramatically increased the MW noise floor, significantly
limiting (or entirely negating) whatever coverage gains resulted from
the increased power. But VHF, even low-band VHF, doesn't propagate by
skywave. Increasing the power in Philadelphia doesn't add to the noise
floor in Georgia in any measurable way, except during the relatively
rare periods of strong e-skip, which has been a known issue with
low-band VHF since the earliest days of TV.

I think I'm more inclined to agree with Richard's contention that the
problem lies largely at the receiver end: if there's a reason to fault
the FCC here, it's more for failing to insist on tougher standards for
DTV tuner sensitivity - and perhaps for allowing manufacturers to flood
the stores with noisy amplified indoor antennas that are simply useless
for reliable DTV reception.