[BC] HDTV rollout wrinkle

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jun 23 19:19:27 CDT 2009

< The horrible results we get with HDTV reception is because we have
horrible HDTV receivers, designed to work with 100 mV of signal input,
while NTSC receivers were designed to work with 100 uV of signal input.
  It really has nothing to do with the transmitters. It's the absolutely
awful receivers. >

   It's both actually, maintaining a high signal to noise ratio is a lot easier
when you start out with a lot of signal.  All of that error correcting works
a lot better on paper than it does in my kitchen.  My 200 kW NTSC transmitter
was replaced with a 23.138 kW ATSC transmitter using the same antenna and tower.
 From 5,000 kW to 550 kW.  That's pretty close to 1/10th the power.

--
Ron KA4INM