[BC] Apparently have a virus making the rounds (again)

Dave Dunsmoor mrfixit at min.midco.net
Wed Jun 17 21:33:11 CDT 2009

     About a year ago, my nephew clicked on some popup that looked very much
like Microsoft's security AV product, It took me a full night of effort to
erradicate it. Then he did it again, this time on his office machine,
Another night and $40 for PC Tools PC Doctor, and it was again gone.

     My son called a while ago, and said that when he woke up from a nap, his
machine was off, and when he tried to power it up and use it, every file he
attempted to access was reported to be infected, and the AV product that
popped up wanted a credit card to cure it. And yes, it looked like MS AV
product.

     Now, just a few minutes ago, my brother (who used to work for Symantec,
and is aware of this stuff) called to report that his machine had been
hijacked. Same virus.

     Sounds like the one I saw a year ago, but more skilled now. My son was
annoyed, I can't repeat what my brother wants to do to "those guys".

     Be careful, it's a jungle out there........

Dave Dunsmoor