[BC] DTV Audio Levels

Urban, Brian L burban at kut.org
Tue Jun 16 10:20:47 CDT 2009

Found the reference.

Lip-sync is another can of worms altogether. We'll discuss the causes more fully in a future article, but suffice it to say that musicians begin to grumble about timing errors of about 10 ms. A frame of error is about 33 ms, and it is pretty easily noticed by lay viewers, particularly when the audio leads the video (which never happens in nature). Informally, I personally perceive lip-sync error magnitudes in terms of (a) "something's not right"-10 to 50 ms error, (b) half-word error-50 to 150 ms, and (c) whole word error-more than 150 ms error.

TV Technology
The Zen Behind Audio Levels, Lip-Sync
by Dave Moulton, 07.09.2008