[BC] DTV Audio Levels

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Mon Jun 15 22:12:30 CDT 2009

------ At 08:23 AM 6/15/2009, Cowboy wrote: -------

>  This one is bigger than radio guys can ( at first ) imagine !

Why is that? The concept is easy to imagine. Does my TV experience
make me more smarter than most everyone else here? It's a nice
fantasy, but that's all.

Understanding the combobulation and discombobulation of digital
signals isn't really the problem. What's hard to fathom is why the
FCC would approve a system that virtually guarantees ongoing
violations of their regulations. Unless, of course, the industry's
designers of the implementation of the system didn't understand it
and used the analog model which assumes levels should be tolerable
and easy to manipulate.

>  The "old school" producers still seem to want to control that
> level, until they
>  find out how much trouble it really is.

There's a dramatic advancement. The manipulation of levels is often
part of the creative process. I'm going to assume there's some way
for the folks creating the product to make level changes without
starting from scratch, though I think we're talking about something
further down the signal path.

One way or another there's got to be a way to make digital levels
acceptable to viewers. If not, there's plenty else to do. Note that
Bob Orban's letter to the legislator references the occasions where
the FCC ruled against loud spots. This will be the third time,
possibly more, that complaints have driven authorities to take
action. It's interesting that bad video doesn't draw nearly the
attention loud audio does. In analog, stations weren't broadcasting
bad video. They were transmitting bad audio. We might see some
different complaints with digital but it's still not normally the
station's fault. The bad audio is.

I'm encouraged that Bob Orban and Frank Foti found ways to fix the
problem. I believe that because I respect them both. The same with
Tom O's claim that the unit he saw did the trick.

Now we have to convince the stations to install the equipment and
force the CEO's to forego the new car or the titanium golf clubs. The
fact that the situation is against regulations should be a good
incentive. I suspect the FCC will give stations a grace period as
everyone learns the traps of digital.

I wonder if we'll have the same luck with the satellite services.

Rich

.