[BC] RE: DTV Audio Levels

Kirk Harnack kharnack at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 11:18:45 CDT 2009

Tom Osenkowsky wrote:

> At the March, 2009 meeting of SBE Chapter 14
> we hosted a demonstration of the Linear Acoustic
> processor. The demo was a segment of CSI:Miami
> from WCBS-TV (analog channel 2 in NYC). The
> variation in levels during the show itself, then to a
> cutaway was very audible. Post processing was
> amazingly consistent. We could see the bar graphs
> reducing levels where they exceeded the norm and
> watch the average level in numeric form.
>
> The processor is designed to make the audio levels
> as heard by human ears consistent. I was sold on the
> device. The bottom line is that there is a problem and
> there is a solution.

Linear Acoustic is headed by Tim Carroll.  The company merged with
Telos-Omnia-Axia about a year ago.

Tom's observation is typical; the Linear Acoustic TV audio processors are quite,
quite good and gaining widespread acceptance.  Their web site,
http://linearacoustic.com, has a Tech Talk section with some white papers and an
FAQ.

Best,

Kirk